Skip to main content

I received a ticket for parking in a no stopping zone. How do I go about fighting this and make sure it doesn't happen again?

Whittier, CA |

The citation states I failed to obey sign but there are no signs. There are no signs anywhere along the street and cars park there all the time to access the hiking trails. I've parked there for years and never received a ticket, nor have there ever been "no parking" or "no stopping" signs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Sounds like an overzealous parking attendant needed to write some tickets. Go back to the spot, take pictures to show there are no signs or curbs with markings. Then set the case for trial and see if the wannabe cop shows up. If not, you win. By the way, you might to check the Vehicle Code to make sure there are no laws that would prohibit parking there, such as no parking in a loading zone or yellow zone. Not saying that was your case, but check to see if there are any things in the area that might trigger some obscure vehicle code section.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.


Fight the ticket. You don't need an attorney to fight a parking ticket.



I am fully aware I do not need an attorney. I'm simply trying to gain as much knowledge as I can before I do fight the ticket. Thank you so much for your insight.

Vijay Dinakar

Vijay Dinakar


Follow Mr. Farina's advice. It's on the money.


Your best bet is to take pictures of the area to show there were no signs or warnings. Then either hire a traffic attorney or set it for trial yourself.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer