Skip to main content

I received a ticket for "following too closely" after I clipped the bumper of another car. What are my options in Atlanta court?

Atlanta, GA |

father's car (a car I'm unfamiliar with and that is much bigger than my daily driver) and clipped the bumper of a car that was turning right. The other car stopped suddenly because a pedestrian walked out. I know I am at fault.

I am not sure how to handle court, as I have never been before. I am confident the person I hit will not be in court and there were no other witnesses that the officer spoke with. I don't feel like pleading "not guilty" will do me much good, since I am at fault. I hate to plead "nolo" on my first infraction. I, like everyone, am hoping to receive a reduced fine and/or reduced points.

I'm hoping someone experienced with Atlanta's Municipal Court will be able to provide insight.

The first part of my question was cut off: I was driving my father's car...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

I am a former prosecutor in the Atlanta court. I know that place like the back of my hand. On your first court date you will have to plead not guilty, and request a bench trial before a judge. Your case will be rescheduled 2 to 8 weeks for a bench trial date. When you return on that date if the other party is not there to testify against you then the case will be dismissed. You do not qualify to participate in their pre-trial diversion program where the ticket against you gets dismissed upon payment of the fine because an accident is involved. Also, if you are under the age of 21 they will try to suck you into the TLC program for teenage drivers which is a ton of work, but if you believe the other driver will not show up I would stick with the not guilty plea.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


There is a presumption of fault when you rear end another car. It is always best to hire an attorney to fight any traffic tickets you get. If you still will not hire an attorney, you can go to Court and see if they will plead you down to a zero points offense like impeding traffic. You still pay the fine but you don't get the points. Sometimes they will also agree to take it under advisement and if you don't get in any more traffic related tickets it comes off your record. Other times they wont cut you any deal at all. Good luck.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once. This response does not constitute legal advise outside the State Of Michigan and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship with our offices. It is for informational use only of the general laws in the State of Michigan, only. To retain our offices, you need to sign a contingency contract with us. We do offer free consultations and we can refer clients to lawyers in your State if you call us. Visit our webpage and tell us what you think.


I agree with Mr. Schnitzer with regards to your case. It seem advisable to hire a local attorney to represent you in court. I hope this helps and have a nice day.


Get an attorney.

No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication. Any recommendation/information given through Avvo should be considered only as opinion until an attorney-client relationship is created.


You can find the Atlanta Municipal Court Fine Schedule online. Interesting thing, it set the fine and court costs for following too closely at around $200, but notes that this is if there was not an accident. I'm not sure how you "follow too closely" without there being an accident, or at least how you prove the violation without there being an accident. However, note that your fines could be higher according to the fee schedule.

Pleading nolo is always a good practice when an accident is involved, even a minor one. You don't want to plead guilty, thereby admitting fault, and find out later that someone in the car you "clipped" was claiming an injury. By pleading guilty to a traffic violation, you are admitting negligence. Therefore, you plead no contest to protect yourself.

A no contest plea also prevents your license from accumulating any points for the violation. Therefore, the only long term impact you have to worry about is higher insurance premiums.


You've got several good answers. You likely always will do better with counsel.

A nolo plea isn't a horrible option, but you get the standard fine.

A not guilty plea resets the case for trial. Usually the other driver won't show, and the key there will be did the officer see enough to testify. If yes, you are facing a loss in court and a conviction; if no you probably get a dismissal. A lawyer would be very useful that day to make the appropriate motions.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer