Skip to main content

I received a supboena to appear as a witness to a car accident. Do I have to appear if it is a hardship?

Orlando, FL |

I am a full time college student and the hearing is two hours away. I will have to miss classes, and pay for tolls and gas to drive over 200 miles. I really don't remember any details either. The subpeona was sent certified mail and my mother signed for it, since it was mailed to my home address in a different city than where I am in school.

+ Read More

Filed under: Subpoena Going to court
Attorney answers 3


Call the attorney who issued the subpoena, tell them your story, see if there's some way in which they could accommodate you.

Fighting Junk Debt Buyers for you! Call me for a free consultation. My number is 727-712-3333, or you can view my website at


You may have not been served personally. In most states, there are requirements that witnesses subpoenas must be served personally. You should contact the lawyer to make sure he knows you are of your circumstances and that you live beyond 200 miles from the court.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


A subpoena is an order from the court that you appear at a particular place at a particular time. Simply ignoring it is not advised. I would contact the attorney who issued the subpoena and explain your hardship. There maybe some accomodations, such as a video depo or skype testimony that can be done to ease the hardship. Attorneys also like to know if they are calling a witness who is less than thrilled to be there, you should have a discussion with the attorney about whether they actually intend to call you to the witness stand. Good luck!

This answer is for informational purposes only and does not invoke any attorney/client relationship or privilege. For further information kindly contact our offices at 727-822-6313.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer