Skip to main content

I received a paper from the unemployment agency saying I owe them $8,000. They also wrote I am not at fault.

Cadillac, MI |

I sent in 3 hardship waivers and I am still getting denied. They wrote I did not intentionally conceal information to get these benefits but they want me to still pay! I cannot afford this. I am a stay at home mom recently married in dec 2010. This is from benefits I collected in 2009 and early 2010. What should I do next? If the answer is to protest what info do I send with my written protest?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is very common for the agency to request reimbursement for public funds back -- like those you got that you did not qualify for. Many pressures exist in this economy for those that have very little. So in these hard times, in this desperation economy, the agency is redoubling efforts to get back money given out to someone like you so it can go to others that are in more need and actually qualify for the benefits.

Work out a payment plan. The agency will work with you.

Good luck and God bless you for your honesty!


I agree. I have had several clients with similar situations in the past. Unfortuntalely, even though you were not at fault, you have to repay the money. And even though you may have had no idea that you were not entitlted to this money, it won't excuse you from repaying. You must repay the full $8,000. Try to get on a payment plan. If you don't, you will probably be prosecuted. I am in NJ and I have dealt with 2 clients just recently who were being prosecuted for this same type of issue. As long as you arrange a payment plan, the suit will stop. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but, unfortunately, it is the truth.

Good luck to you!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer