Skip to main content

I received a citation for following too closely involving an accident in Atlanta. Can an attorney attend court in my stead?

Atlanta, GA |

I received a following too closely citation involving an accident with almost so damage in Atlanta. I am a city citizen. Having never dealt with traffic court (1st violation), I did not realize I had a mandatory court appearance until finally reaching a human on the Municipal Court system's phone system. I have an out-of-state obligation that date and am wondering if an attorney can represent me there that day without being issued an FTA. I am looking to plea nolo. Also: is it worthwhile to request a continuance/move the court date, or are requests usually denied?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes. Contact one for this. I would be more than happy to help if needed.

You can request a continuance for it but with this type of charge, an attorney should easily be able to get everything resolved quickly. You may not need to move anything.


Yes, you should be able to get an attorney to appear for you. Contact one and talk about your ticket. Most of them should offer free consultations.

I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Ben Titter
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - Available 24 hours

Responses on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. All responses to questions should be used for informational purposes only. Always consult personally with an attorney prior to initiating or responding to any legal action.


In most states this is allowed - I am a California attorney & not familiar with GA laws & court procedures. Consult a local GA Traffic Ticket or Criminal Law Attorney m- many will offer free initial consultations. Either contact one who responds to your question or another can be located right here on AVVO by using the tool "Find A Lawyer" Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Assuming you retain an attorney you won't have to worry about missing your court date. An attorney can either appear and resolve the citation on your behalf, or get an extension for you both to appear on the same date. I have been successful in getting many of these types of citations resolved through dismissal or through a diversion program in Atlanta. I am happy to discuss your situation with you and provide references of similar situations if you like.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


Yes, retain one of the above lawyers in the state

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer