Skip to main content

I receive ssi monthly payments and im also self employed with children .Will I qualify for earned income tax credit?

Bronx, NY |

Can you quality for earned income tax credit if your self employed and receive ssi ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

The Earned Income Tax Credit ranges up to $5,000 depending on the amount of income you earn. Mr. Nielsen has a useful link to additional information. Here is another link that may help.


The following IRS link will help you get an answer.

Good luck.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.


Generally you must have earned income from working for someone else or running or operating a farm or business. So if you have net earnings from self-employment you should qualify. Messrs. Fazio and Neilsen have given you good advice (a place to look up the rules).


Another fact that you should consider is that your reporting of business income can have an adverse effect on your eligibility for and the amount of your allowable SSI benefits. See For example, if you earn more than $65 (or $85, if applicable), SSA will reduce your SSI benefit $1 for every $2 you earn in that month in excess of that amount.

Thus, it may be a good idea for you to consult with a disability attorney who also has a background in tax matters. Good luck with your tax issue!

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer