Skip to main content

I receive offset WA. State L&I pension and SSDI. Can SSI use these for deeming husband's SSI eligibility? Any exceptions?? Help

Yakima, WA |

I have a work related injurthane I'm permanently disabled. My husband was awarded SSI before we got married. We were married, reported it to SSI, now he is ineligible for his SSI. He cannot get his SSDI because they say he doesn't have enough work credits, even though he is disabled per SSI. He needs medical due to a leg clot and subsequent complications! We can't afford medical insurance. How can they use MY pension based on MY WORK history and MY injury and MY SSDI for deeming what HE should be entitled to? Please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


SSI has two requirements for eligibility: the disability portion, which he meets, and the financial portion, which he no longer meets due to his change of circumstances. The total household income is used to determine eligibility, with some small exceptions. Whether the income comes from you working, your disability benefits, etc, that income counts.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


Yes they can, they will and they do. You could work with your Congresspeople to get the law changed or you could get a divorce and live separately, those are about it as far as viable options to help get SSI again go.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


My colleagues are correct. As you are married, he gets nothing from SSI. I have known couples who separate and live apart, and then may be eligible for some SSI, or who get divorced, then maybe some benefit could be paid. But I do not recommend either option - they are not fair choices.

Sorry I cannot give better news, but that is the law on SSI.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer