I put a large amount of money into renovating my partners house while living together. Is there any hope of repayment?

Orlando, FL |

I have been cohabiting with a man for 3.5 years and during that time was under the impression that we were building a future together. I renovated the house with my money as to what would be a comfortable environment for us both. The house is in his name. After a recent domestic violence incident to me. I am moving out and would like to get my money back for which I have all receipts and was in charge of all of the subs and improvements. How can I get my investment money back. I have not moved out yet but he has and is asking me to move out pronto. Thank you.

There are a number of different ways to proceed in a situation like this. However, you will almost certainly need to retain an attorney to assist you with this. I could rattle off several different theories: unjust enrichment, dissolution of joint partnership, quantum meruit (may need to dust off some law books) but you get the picture. It's not a conventional type of "divorce" situation. I would encourage you to talk to an attorney with not only family law experience, but real estate experience as well. Good luck to you.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

I agree with my colleague to the extent that you may have legal options, however, I do not believe you are going to have much success, in all honesty. I wish you the best of luck.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

You may be able to sue him in civil court, but only a civil litigation can answer that. In family law, you will not prevail. Best of luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272 familylawyer411.com/about-carin https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Offices-of-Carin-M-Constantine/125967577416313 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/carin-constantine/b/861/445