Skip to main content

I purchased kitchen cabinets from a store and paid to have them installed, the installer did not do the job right. Who do I sue?

Buffalo, NY |

I paid for measurements before placing order, everything is wrong, my stove does not line up with my vent to the outside, the screws did damage to the wood, had to have a second contractor come in to fix some of the problems, Store said they will not talk compensation till counters are in. They took a pound themselves to install crown molding, stating that is what they are willing to do I still have issues been trying to get fixed started in Aug. Now they keep giving me run around. I can not open my side by side refrigerator, even if I cut off 3" of the cabinet like they said. What can I do to have them fix the things I told them about in Aug and Jan. when second contractor finally came.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You sue both the store and the installer. You will need paid reciepts for the repairs to prove damages and you will need an expert to testify as to what was wrong with the installation and how it was corrected. Preferably this would be a licensed contractor who actually did the repair. You can sue in small claims court but if your damages exceed the jurisdictional limits of the small claims court then I suggest you retain an attorney and sue in district court.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


Sue both store and installer. That way when you go to court they are both there and no one else to blame.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You sue them both. Generally the store has an indemnity agreement from the installer, and will put pressure on the installer to resolve the dispute.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


I agree. If you feel you have the store and installer every opportunity to make it right, if you bring suit you need to sue them both. In Missouri our small claims court does not allow laywers to participate. Check into you state's small claims limits and procedures before you hire an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer