Skip to main content

I passed my naturalization interview but my G-C expired. Should I renew it while I wait for oath ceremony paper?

New York, NY |

My G-C had just expired 2 days before my interview and the officer only made a copy of it but said he would recommend an approval. Do I renew my G-C or do I just give them the expired card at the oath ceremony?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It appears to me that USCIS is not requiring you to renew your green card. Be sure to take your expired green card to the oath ceremony to turn in.

At any rate, if you apply to renew your green card, it will take several months, at least, and it appears that you will have your oath ceremony long before you would receive the new green card.

I have had several clients become US Citizens while holding expired green cards.

Best wishes to you, and congratulations on your naturalization.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You don't have to. Your status as a permanent resident is valid even though your card has expired.


If you have been approved and are merely waiting to be sworn in, then no.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.