Skip to main content

I paid my husband $750 for a divorce over forty years ago. I find out that I am not divorced

Winston-salem, NC |

I want my $ 750.00 back with interest and I want him to get a divorce. He remarried and now he said that he is divorced from his second wife. This man is a Clergyman for one of the largest College in the US. Once I informed him of this matter he has not contacted me.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 4


Go visit a local divorce attorney to discuss this dilemma . There is nothing we can do to help you on here. You would not pay your husband for a divorce you would pay a lawyer. If you are not divorced and want to be you must file for divorce against him and have him served. His own actions over the ast forty years really have no relevance to you and your life.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


You need to file for a divorce. The statute of limitations would have long ago passed for any recovery of the $750.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The answer provided is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney.


Contact a divorce attorney asap.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


I agree with all previous answers. The statute of limitations on the $750 passed at least 37 years ago. Further, even if it hadn't you would have a hard time showing that the agreement was to pay $750.00 for a divorce. And finally, if I were wrong about the above and you can't get interest unless you had a written agreement with a provision that allowed interest if he didn't pay for the divorce.

Call a divorce attorney in your area and get a quick divorce. Take solace in knowing that his "second" marriage was illegal if you were never legally divorced.