Skip to main content

I paid a deposit for a tattoo the artist refuse to do the tatt, he is mad at me and refuse to return my money can I charge him

Columbus, GA |

I paid 230.00 total for the tatt, he is my ex-boyfriend and now he is mad and refuse to do the tatt or give me the drawing, which i dont need the drawing because I don't trust anybody else to tatt my body. Can I press charges against him for thelf of service of thelf by deception. He said he was going to get a restraing order for me because I went to his shop to ask about my money or the tatt, can he do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can sue him in Small Claims court for return of your money. Sure he can sue you or try to get a restraining order against you, but that doesn't mena he'll be successful.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Sounds like a terribly toxic relationship. If I were wearing my "counselor" hat as opposed to my attorney hat, I'd say that the $230.00 is a cheap parting gift and I'd recommend you run and do not look back. That's likely the best scenario for both parties...


You can certainly file a Magistrate Court case against him in the county of his residence. He may have a claim for part of the monies paid to compensate him for the conceptual drawing of the tattoo. The value of this should be established by another tattoo artist with suitable experience.

I agree with the earlier post, $230 may not be worth the hassle of litigation when there are personal relationships spilling over into the business end of things - most courts would raise a somewhat skeptical eye to this kind of transaction.


If you paid for something (i.e. the tatt) and all parties to the transaction understood and agreed as to what you were paying for and what you were supposed to get for your money, and you didn't get what you paid for through no fault of your own: you are entitled to get your money back. Your local small claims court is the place to go. Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to contact her directly for a legal consultation, you may do so by calling 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: