Skip to main content

I owe taxes still from 2006 I am current on all filing except 2012. What can IRS do to me?

Lumberton, TX |

I was on a payment plan, and have fallen behind. Simply because I don't have the appropriate funds to pay - I currently don't have a checking account any longer in fear because they continue to rob my account, leaving me nothing to live on. I am tired of living in fear, what do I do??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to contact a Texas licensed tax attorney to discuss the options you have at your disposable with the IRS. You can try to re-establish a payment plan that's affordable to you or perhaps submit an Offer in Compromise. Talk to an attorney as soon as possible.



I was a Realtor for nearly 12 years. I owed money to IRS every year. I origianlly owed $39,000 and reduced that by paying, I got down to $15,000 but my circumstances changed. I recently a divorced, got out of Real Estate, and now selling MFH and RV's in Texas. I am barely able to make ends meet as it is. I no longer live the lifestyle I was accustom to, and struggle from Month to Month. I know I need to hire and attorney, but how do I do that with little to no income. I fear that now I am having taxes taken from my current paychecks - that IRS will lien my paychecks - leaving me homeless...If I can't pay my rent, I will get evicted. I am so scared, but can't afford to pay an attorney. I see all these IRS help companies - but my mother always told me, "if its too good to be true, then it probably is". Even these companies want $500 or more - and I don't even have that. What can I do!! Desperately seeking advice!!

Michael L Raff

Michael L Raff


I would still STRONGLY recommend hiring an attorney, but you can check out some of the papers the IRS puts out on the Offer in Compromise program located here: Best of luck!


Hire an attorney or CPA to represent you to re-establish your payment plan? If you have the right situation, see if you qualify for an offer in compromise?

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


It would help to know about how much your 2006 tax liability is as well as why you owe the taxes. In either event, file the 2012 return ASAP. If the taxes were filed on time and are not owed due to an audit, you may be eligible to eliminate the taxes as well as other debt in bankruptcy. The amount of the liability will be a factor as well as whether the IRS has filed a lien. See a bankruptcy tax attorney for more specific advice before the IRS collection process takes over to seize everything you own. The ordinary rules don't apply to the IRS collection process. Hope this perspective helps!


If you cannot afford an attorney you should contact the taxpayer advocate or a low income taxpayer clinic in your area. Numbers for both can be found at Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: Our reply to your question has not created an attorney-client relationship. It should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an Attorney who can give you legal advice after acquainting themselves with the specifics of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer