Skip to main content

I owe some back taxes + penalties ($4,000). it's been turned over to collection agency. They came & took my savings $1,000).

Denver, CO |

I am 63yr old single woman w/ little income. It took me 2yrs to save $. Can a private company do that?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, they can garnish all of a checking or savings account.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Yes -- and they will do so until they get all of their money, plus interest. You ought to try and negotiate a resolution pronto -- that can save you some dough. An attorney could try to pull that off for you for a few hundred bucks.

Best of luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


the IRS is using private companies for tax collections, but these still have the authority of the IRS when it comes to garnishing accounts, best to work out a payment plan or discuss alternatives with a tax attorney

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer