Skip to main content

I owe money to credit cards since 2009. I have a court judgement on my credit report..

Springfield, VA |

Around 10k in debt. I moved out the country and never got any information about the court judgement. I'm back in the US and want to fix this ASAP. I don't know what to do or how to procceed with this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are several things you may need to do to resolve your issues. The first is to obtain a copy of your credit report and review it to find out what type of debts you have. Most creditors report the derogatory accounts to the credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and Transunion. In some cases, even the judgments will appear on your credit report along with information about the county were the case was filed and the case number. You can use this information to find out more about the judgments. You can obtain a copy of your credit report, for free, annually, from each of the credit bureaus through After you review the report, you should consult with an attorney in your area regarding your liability for each of the accounts, and engage their office to help you settle the accounts. I encourage you to use a law firm who handles debt settlement because they will make sure you receive written documentation from the creditor and they can make sure the judgments are satisfied. A couple months after everything is settled you can review your credit to make sure everything is cleared up. This is a process and in your case it could take several months to fully resolve. I hope this helps!

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Rochelle N Belnap or Belnap & Forbes, PLLC.


You may be able to move the court to have your judgment vacated for lack of service, depending on the rules in your jurisdictoin. By vacating the judgment, you will not have to worry about possible methods of execution such as wage garnishment, bank levys, or property liens. A debt settlement attorney experienced in civil litigation that is familiar with the jurisdiction of your matter will be in a good position to know what the court will look for to consider vacature. Your other options are to settle the debt or consider filing for bankruptcy.

This is not legal advice. Seek a consultation with an attorney in your jurisdiction. An attorney/client relationship is not sought or formed by the participation in this website. I am licensed to practice law in New York and New Jersey.


DO get your credit report, so you can know what you are looking at. Make sure you get all 3.

Second, if you know where the judgment was entered, call the court clerk and get a copy of the file. Take it to a decent consumer lawyer in your area to review. As was stated, you may be able to get it vacated. Or, by bringing the motion, you may be able to leverage a settlement. Only a good lawyer can tell you at this point.