Skip to main content

I owe 4k in property taxes. Can I discharge the taxes by filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy? Are these debts considered secured?

Los Angeles, CA |

hello I owe property taxes. I do not want to pay them. Will bankruptcy discharge the debt or will the debt remain with me even if I file? Do I need to find out if the taxes are secured or are property taxes always considered secured debts?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Property taxes are a lien on your house. If you don't pay them, eventually the county will foreclose.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


Ms. Gruber has given you the correct advice.


The taxes are a lien on your land and has priority over your mortgage. If you don't pay them, the county will eventually sell your home and the new owner will have you evicted.

First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice. Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.


You don't get to keep the asset and walkaway from the debt with a fresh start if that is your thinking.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer