Skip to main content

I need to present a US employer with all the paperwork to sign off to sponsor me for a green card so she can decide

Los Angeles, CA |

if she can do it or not. That will include let the employer see the draft the job offer and all the labor certifications. The owner, a lady, might decided against it after she sees the paperwork, or not. She just wants to see everything first and then decide.Would it be completely illegal to ask a lawyer to do all that or it would be OK? The employer does not have a legal department not a lawyer and she prefers I deal with the process and just present the final product.My second issue would be that I would have to actually retain a lawyer to do all that and if she (the owner) changes her mind and back out after reading all the paperwork I would have loose probably thousands of dollars. Anyone has a suggestion? What would be the cost of just "drafting" the paperwork without actually filing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The lawyer cannot create a job for you. You must have a job offer to present to the lawyer.

Please see

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



I know but there are so many variations and so many tasks in a job. There is a lot of grey because I will not be an architect, or a nurse. It will be a job that could have different titles depending on the tasks. Obviously I cannot do the job of 10 people but that's what the employer is hoping to get, a very flexible title.


You ask some great questions, and you're making life easier for the employer and the attorney by being so proactive. While the documents in this situation will be important, the more critical issues at this stage are what position you are being offered, the nature of the company, and your qualifications, among several others. Bringing a lot of paperwork to your employer at this point wouldn't be the most useful thing to do. The most useful thing to do would be to speak to an immigration attorney (both you and the employer), to discuss the above factors. Only then could the attorney make some recommendations. The article below may be useful. Best of luck.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


The best thing would be to retain a lawyer who will speak to your employer and convince her that she can do it for you.