Skip to main content

I need to have a subpoena duces tecum served to the credit card company witness. Do I go to the Clerk of the court to get the

Los Angeles, CA |

form? I found a form online but it asks for signature and title of person issuing the subpoena so I'm guessing that would be the Clerk of the Court???

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Yes, the clerk will issue the SDT. Code of Civil Procedure Section 1985 requires that the SDT be issued by a clerk or judge, signed and sealed but otherwise blank.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


If you have an attorney, he or she can get the subpoena issued. If not, you will have to go to the clerk's office.