Skip to main content

I need to change from a G4 to an F1 . How can I apply for residency again ?

Bethesda, MD |

A legal site said that you can get residency on an F1 visa after five years of being in the States . I will have been in the States for the five years when my visa status needs to be changed . However , does this residency change on the F1 not apply to the years gained on a G4 ? The World Bank said it had to be at least fifteen . If it is fifteen , is there any way I can apply for residency on an F1 ( I can't afford the out - of - state tuition ) ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You have been misinformed. There is no right to file for residency in the U.S. based on being an F1 student for five years.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


F-1 visas are not a path to a green card.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer