Skip to main content

I need someone to help me fill out a tax form. It's a long story but if any one can help....please!!!

Sacramento, CA |

I need someone to help me fill out a tax form. It's a long story but... I have to send proof that I paid taxes on the inheritance I received two years ago. I thought I had that covered but apparently I didn't do it right and now the IRS is saying I owe money. I talked with them and they told me what I need to do to appeal this but I have no idea how to fill out the form I was sent. They sent me form 5293. My mom died while both her homes were in foreclosure. We lost them both. My brother and I inherited a little over $7000 each from the only remaining IRA she had left after all dust settled. Now the IRS says I owe money. Besides going to a tax attorney or tax prepare, which neither can I afford, as a single parent with 2 children under 9. Can someone advise? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The IRS can be contacted to assist you and every form the IRS publishes comes with instructions on what to do and are available online.

Louis T. Wierenga Assisting in mitigating your business and tax risks. E Twitter @LTWLAW The information provided is for general purposes only and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


It may help to go to the local IRS office to have someone there assist you.

The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own set of unique circumstances that cannot be adequately addressed without consultation. You are strongly advised to hire an attorney licensed to practice law in your state to represent you.


I agree with the other answers. You may also want to consider contacting the Volunteer Income Tax Assitance (VITA) in your community. You probbaly owe tax on the income inside the IRA since income tax was not collected from your mother on the monies placed in the IRA.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to answer the question presented. Additional facts and issues are unknown to the responding attorney. Should you still have questions, legal assistance should be sought by making an appointment to meet with an attorney, rather than attempting to resolve the issue via e mail. This response is merely provided to give direction to assist you in the decision of whether you should contact an attorney or not.


I know you said you can't afford a lawyer, but it might cost you more in the long run if you don't hire one to help you with the forms.