Skip to main content

I need some help in Workers' Comp case

Portland, OR |

I was injured on job while working overseas for a company called MEP (Mission Essential Personnel) a few months ago. I was a contractor working with the US Air Forces Security Forces in Bagram, Afghanistan. An insurance company called ESIS is handling their Federal Workers’ Comp claims. According to an attorney who handles Federally mandated Workers’ Comp (WC) cases, he said that this does qualify as a Federal WC case because I was not on the DoD payroll. He mentioned a different type of mandate which I can’t remember. I would like a local attorney who can help me settle this case and look into possible anomalies in the handling this case by the insurance and MEP companies.
If you can help, please contact me for more details that can't fit in this box. Thank you,


+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Federal WC cases are handled much differently than state based WC claims. Your best bet is to use the Avvo Find a Lawyer utility to locate an attorney in your area who handles federal WC cases. Even though you are a contractor you still have rights and entitled to benefits, but the best thing for you to do is be your best advocate and be proactive in finding counsel.

This response is to a question posed in what is considered to be a hypothetical situation. The response is for educational and reference purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal counsel. No fees are to be exchanged for this response and the attorney/client relationship has not been established in this context. You should contact an attorney within the jurisdiction of this matter for legal counsel.


Look for a federal workers' compensation attorney who is willing to assist you. You are certainly covered by workers' comp insurance (managed by ESIS in your case) even though you were working abroad.


I agree with counsel's answers above. Federal Work Comp cases are different than state Work Comp cases and a specialist is needed to advocate your interests. You have rights to be protected so please contact a qualified attorney either from the AVVO search or other means.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Then you should get a FECA attorney. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to located a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)


If the Federal WC attorney was correct when he said that your claim is not covered by Federal WC, then this might be an indication that you are covered under a state claim. Did you accept MEP's offer of employment while you were in Oregon? If so, then contact an Oregon WC attorney about filing a claim in Oregon. It doesn't hurt to try, and going through the process may provide additional information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer