Skip to main content

I need immigration help with transferring a G5 visa (nanny from Pakistan already working in D.C) from one employer to another

Wilmington, MA |

A world bank employee sponsored a lady from Pakistan (G5 Visa) to come to the U.S to work as a nanny for her. The employer no longer needs that nanny.
I have a disabled brother, who is 40 years old urgent need for care (we are from Pakistan as well, & are U.S citizens). My brother only understands Urdu, and we have searched around for an Urdu speaking care-taker for years. My brother is on disability, and his caseworker said that if we can sponsor someone from Pakistan to come here, they will support the case. We are clueless abt the process of transferring work visas, and would love this nanny to come and take care of my brother in NJ. Can someone guide me in the process of either reapplying or transferring visa of that nanny so she can take care of my brother (she is currently in D.C)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I am sorry. But, I don't see this working.

She got the G-5 because her employer 'qualified' as being part of an international organization:

There is no 'transfer' possible.

Go ahead and meet with an attorney ... for confirmation that this won't work.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


G Visas in general are dependent upon a Governmental sponsorship. Since it appears that your brother is not part of a governmental "transfer" of G status is not possible under these circumstances.


Won't work. That G-5 visa was specific to her employer and is not transferable.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the other attorneys and want to add that, while she cannot work for your brother on the same G-5 visa, there may be other options for your brothers to keep her here. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.



What are the other option, most importantly, the most suitable and easy to achieve option? Appreciate your help very much.


You may be able to file a B category visa for temporary domestic staff if your brother is traveling internationally and needs help.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer