Skip to main content

I need help trying to get my grandson out of DCF Foster Care.

Byron, GA |

My grandson got put into DCF foster care because my daughter did not do what was asked of her. DCF said to my children that I can not get him because I have had to many cases with DCF. I had my grandson in my home since birth and DCF told my daughter after three years that she can get him back. DCF new my daughter has mental issues and they told my that all of her problems where in the past. They also told me that I could not talk to anyone or call anyone about my daughter. There is child abuse going on in the home and I sorry but I had to call someone because my grandson had brusies all over him. I don't no where to turn to because everyone is against me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depending on the particular circumstances, there may be various options for trying to custody of your grandson (e.g., temporary/permanent guardianship, deprivation proceeding, grandparent custody proceeding), but it is best if you speak with a family law attorney to determine what option may be the best. Good luck.


You may have several options, but it is safe to say you probably won't get anywhere without a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


As for the bruises on your grandson, you should report this to the law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where he is in foster care. Don't expect DFCS to do anything about that situation. I have seen them cover that up before in a foster care case. You could also report suspected abuse in a foster home to the Office of the Child Advocate. They have a website: .

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer