I need help on the questions entered below.

Henrico, VA |

Then after almost a year I wanted to file a I-130 so my new husband could come with me to the US.
USCIS needed all divorce papers from any previous marriages, so I e-mailed my lawyer to have him send me a copy of the final divorce decree.
It was at this time that he informed me that he had not finished my divorce.
I am aware that I still need to finalize my divorce from the husband that was deported.
So my questions are .......

1.Do I have to divorce my current husband and re-marry him after the final decree is issued on the Mexican husband before I can submit the I-130?

2. If my current marriage is void now will it still be considered void after the final decree is issued?

3. Once I get the final divorce decree from the Mexican husband will the current marriage license be valid?
4, If our marriage is not void after the final decree is issued from the Mexican husband what effect will it have on me filing the I-130 for the current husband?

5. If our marriage is void do we need to talk about it on the I-130 or will it be like it never happened?

Please ADVISE me on what I should do as I do not want to loose my current husband or do anything to break the law either.

Thank you for your time and effort to help me with this deli ma

Sincerely,
Maggie
.

I have not filed a i-130 for my current husband.

Best Answer

You are definitely going to need to get the divorce from your prior husband finalized, and you are definitely going to need to file a new I-130.

You may or may not need to re-marry the person you are with now. It will depend on the laws in the location where you married. In some states, once the impediment to a marriage is removed, the new marriage springs into life. In other jurisdictions this is not true.

To be safe, and to make the record clear for USCIS, I would recommend getting re-married once the divorce is final, even if, as a matter of law, your currently invalid marriage becomes valied automatically when the divorce is finalized.

You should not conceal this from USCIS. You should be very upfront about the honest mistake you made in marrying someone when your prior marriage was not terminated.

I have not filed a I-130 for my current husband.

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

Good. That makes things cleaner.

Ok, How can we get re-married if we do not get a divorce?

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

You can't. You need to get the prior marriage properly terminated first. If this is being handled in Mexico, and it's proving difficult, I'd just do it in the U.S. It will probably be faster, and USCIS is less likely to question its authenticity.

I appreciate all your advice, time and help concerning this delicate matter.

Your question appears to begin in the middle, rather than at the beginning.

If you or your partner did not divorce your prior marriages BEFORE you and your partner married, then USCIS will conclude that your current marriage to your partner is NOT VALID.

After all prior marriages are ended, by divorce, annulment, or death, then you would need to marry your partner again.

You may not submit the I-130 for your partner as your spouse until you are legally and validly married to him.

You should consult with an immigration lawyer about the situation. You may also want to consult with a family/divorce lawyer.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

I have not a I-130 for my current husband

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

What we have been trying to tell you is that your current marriage is not valid. If you are not legally married, therefore, you do not need a divorce from your CURRENT partner. You and your current partner DO, of course, need to obtain divorces from all PREVIOUS spouses.

You must divorce, then re-marry, then file new I-130 petition.

1. Yes, you must terminate your marriage to your current husband (i.e. non-Mexican husband) and remarry prior to filing an I-130 on his behalf. You should be able to have the marriage annulled rather than proceed on a divorce since the marriage is void.

2. For immigration purposes, your current marriage is void regardless of the fact that the prior marriage has now been terminated by divorce. A divorce after the fact cannot cure a void marriage for immigration purposes.

3. No. As stated in my answer to number, you will have to start over after the divorce from former spouse is terminated and you have properly annulled the current marriage. You can seek annulment at any time. You do not need to wait for the divorce to be finalized.

4. It is void so you will be unable to file an I-130.

5. You will need to disclose all prior divorces and annulments on your petition. This will include any termination of your current marriage. You will not necessarily need to provide an explanation with the petition, but will likely be questioned about it by USCIS at the interview.

I would strongly encourage you to retain an experienced matrimonial/family law attorney to properly handle the annulment. I would also encourage you to retain an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with this matter during the annulment through the filing of the petition.

I have not filed a I-130 for my current husband .

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Thanks for the additional information. It does change the assessment I previously provided.

And How does it change your previous assessment?

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

To remarry, you would need to be officially divorced from your prior spouse. You would also have to have the current marriage terminated through divorce or annulment. Only after these steps have been completed could you remarry. I'm sorry I meant to say it does not change my previous assessment.

Sorry to hear you are going through what must be a very trying situation. Your question does not seem complete but from what I can see this is how I would answer you:

1. No you do not have to divorce but you do have have to remarry
2. It will be void
3. It depends on validity period for the license. The marriage will be void though
4. It will be void (it is void now since you never divorced).
5. It never happened, but in interview you can disclose the oversight and explain. It should not be a problem.

Divorce old husband, remarry current husband , file for current husband

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

OK. Once the divorce from the "original" husband is final, you must remarry your "current" husband, then you can file an I130 for him.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

You and your CURRENT partner do not have to divorce. You MUST obtain a divorce from your FORMER partner, then remarry your current partner and file for him.

Maggie, the first thing that you must do is divorce your previous husband as soon as possible. As soon as you have the final decree, you may then proceed to remarry your current partner/spouse. Once you have a valid marriage license, you can then re-file the I-130 for your current spouse. When you are asked about why there are two applications and two marriage certificates, you or your attorney can explain it at the interview. You will not have a problem so long as you are able to show proof of the divorce and the refiling of the I-130.

Linda Vega

Linda Vega

Maggie, then you need to obtain a divorce, remarry your current partner, and then file the I-130. Talk to an immigration attorney to help guide you through the process.

Linda Vega

Linda Vega

If you were married to your 1st husband still and then married your current partner, this marriage is void. It was never legal or real, therefore, there is nothing to undo. If you want to be 100% certain, you may pay to get it annulled based on fraud, this way you can remarry your current partner without a problem.