Skip to main content

I need emergency custody

Las Vegas, NV |
Attorney answers 1


I can't tell for sure if this posting is by the same person who filed a similar question, so in case it is not, I'll repeat the advice posted there. Unfortunately, you do not provide enough information to answer the question, which answer depends on how and when the various parties ended up where they are.

If the court order is out of Nevada, and you remained here while they moved away, Nevada maintains "Exclusive Modification Jurisdiction." If the order is out of New Mexico, modification jurisdiction is there. For an explanation, see the article titled "The Basics of Family Law Jurisdiction," on the Published Works page of our firm web site, at

Even if Nevada is the correct place to litigate, New Mexico could issue an emergency order. Again, the explanation is in the same article.

If you decide that Nevada does have jurisdiction, you should also see the information posted on our Child Custody page, at

In whichever State you must proceed, you should probably seek consultation with an appropriate family law specialist. I would suggest starting your search with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, which can be viewed at Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer