Skip to main content

I need counsel on how to proceed with a small claims court issue involving roommate's unpaid utility disputes.

Las Vegas, NV |

Sparing the ugly details of the degradation of my relationship with one of my lifelong friends, I've reached a proverbial impasse with this individual. Prior to this dispute, this roommate was planning to leave the apartment without vacating in the proper manner of removing himself from our lease. Ultimately, he decided to stay and had tried to negotiate with me on paying his portion of the rent for the month to which I refused. He refuses to now pay his portion of the electricity bill (in my name) for this month (June 2013) and next month as well.
I have written emails from him stating his refusal to pay. I don't want to proceed with a Small Claims case because I feel it would be a waste of time, but I refuse to allow him to bail on his obligations.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If he refuses to pay, there really is no other way to compel him to pay other than to sue him. However, as you have surmised, it might very well be a waste of time. Not only will you need to pay filing fees and spend a few delightful hours at the courthouse, but then you will need to collect. If he is unable to pay a portion of an electric bill, he might be judgment proof. I would suggest you take some time to consider the tableaux of your relationship, since it obviously has some importance to you, and determine whether this amount of money is worth terminating it.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.