Skip to main content

I need attorney advise on deciding what step I should take on being able to become legal in the United States???

Pasco, WA |

I'm 26 years old and I came from Mexico to the U.S. illegally when I was four. I finished high school and went to trade school. I now live with my boyfriend and have a baby together he is a citizen. I have no criminal record, i report my taxes, and have never left the country. So I wanted to know what would you recommend me to do about becoming legal in the United States. I know some information about the deferred action but I don't know if that is safe. I'm confused and need help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

DACA would get you a work permit for two years. Whether anything else is possible depends on you getting married, the status of your spouse, how you entered the US, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals is safe ... meet with an attorney and do it as soon as possible.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You appear to qualify for the DACA program. Please consult with an immigration attorney to discuss eligibility requirements and details.


On first impression, you appear to qualify for the provisional DACA benefits, but I suggest selecting a licensed attorney to prepare and file your submission competently.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


File DACA.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You may very well qualify for deferred action, you also may qualify to apply for permanent residence. It is important that you meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the benefits and risks of each option.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer