Skip to main content

I need an entertainment lawyer.

Philadelphia, PA |

I need a lawyer that would explain an entertainment contract pro bono to a minor.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First, a minor should not be signing any contracts. Second, if you are looking for an entertainment attorney, you can contact the Philadelphia Bar Association - they can put you in touch with a number of skilled entertainment law practitioners in the Philadelphia area.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


As noted, a minor lacks legal capacity to sign any contract. The parent or guardian will have to sign, and the party on the other side, if eligible for court apporval, will need to get that court approval. That requirement benefits the minor, since the other party may not know this or do this.

As for getting pro bono legal help, you can try the bar association, as my colleague suggests, or maybe a local law school clinic. I know there are Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts in a gew cities but I don't think Philadelphia is one of them, and I don't think the speed and/or quality of the work provided is necessarily very good. But it's hard to find people willing to work for free, and I'm guessing you don't work for free and don't like to be asked to do so. Plan to get what you (don't) pay for. Legal services may be expensive, but good preventative legal care can truly be priceless.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


If you want a pro bono entertainment lawyer, try Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts in Philadelphia. Just be aware that you have to qualify for pro bono services. They also have people who work at reduced rates.

If my answer was helpful to you, I would appreciate if you would mark it either "helpful" or "best answer" if you feel that applies, as AVVO gives us rating points based on feedback. Thank you! Please note that the above answer is not to be construed as legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on your question, and it was given without obtaining the detailed information that I would normally request in order to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with a local attorney of your choosing to obtain specific legal advice. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.


You are getting some good advice. Get in touch with the minor's parent or guardian, so that THEY can receive the explanation and make informed choices.

Professional Rules of Ethics require me to advise you that this is an offer of possible representation.