Skip to main content

I Need An Entertainment Attorney To Assist Me In Retrieving Copyright To Our Songs, Also Retrieve BMI Or ASCAP Documents.

Philadelphia, PA |

My Husband Is A Singer, Songwriter And Musician. My Son Is a Singer, Songwriter And Rap Artist. Over The Years I Obtained Numerous Songs My Husband And Son Have Originated. I Need Assistance with Filling Out The Proper Documents In Order To Protect My Husband and Son Music. Example Copyright Forms, BMI Or ASCAP etc.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think you are making a wise decision. Speak to an experienced, entertainment law attorney who can assist you with registration and legal protection over your husband's works and your son's works.

Disclaimer: This is a general answer to a general question and does not constitute legal advice under Connecticut law or rules of practice for Connecticut attorneys.


Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U. S. Code) to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including musical and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:
• reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords
• prepare derivative works based upon the work
• distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other
transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending
• perform the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and
choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual
• display the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and
choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural
works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other
• perform the work publicly (in the case of sound recordings*) by means of
a digital audio transmission

Disclaimer: Please note you should not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice. It is for general informational purposes only. Legal advice can only come from a qualified attorney after having had an opportunity to become familiar with all of the fact specific circumstances of a particular legal matter, and then to apply or research the relevant law.


My recommendation is to seek a music and copyright attorney to assist you with the paperwork. Best of luck.

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed with the law firm of Abrams Garfinkel Margolis Bergson, LLP or Nina N. Ameri, Esq. on the basis of this posting.