Skip to main content

I need an aggressive divorce attorney and advocate for me in court. How do I find out who is good, there's no one to ask locally

Neillsville, WI |

I also need to find out who is a good guardian ad litem who won't just give my ex 50% custody. He has alcohol and marijuana problems for many years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Try the Find a Lawyer link at the bottom of the page. You can then check the peer recommendations and client recommendations under the Avvo Profile for the lawyer(s) you locate.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Look at the AVVO ratings. Also, the court appoints a GAL and so you do not get to choose who that may be.


The GAL you may not be able to have input to. The county has a pool of GALs they have contracted. You get who you get, unless they will allow you to ask for a substitution. The statutes do not allow for substitution, but often if you ask they will go to the next person on the list. You will not be able to pick someone by name.

Agressive attorneys ???? It depends what you mean by agressive.
It will also matter how much you can afford. I have seen attorneys that litigate big time. But they can cost $10,000 - $20,000 for a few weeks work. Do you really need that level of agreesive ?
If you do then you may want to look for an attorney that is of the dirty dozen (i.e. American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys) They are very expensive but are worth looking at when the situation arrises. But again it depends what you mean by agreesive.

WALWORTH, ROCK and JEFFERSON County Divorce/Family Law Attorney - Atty Richard Missimer does answer questions on Avvo strictly to be helpful but these do not constitute legal advice. These answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help and are within my practice area, contact me at (262)565-8200 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


Aggressive does not always mean successful. I've worked against many attorneys who filed motion after motion, acted out in court, etc., yet all that behavior did was drive up the client's fees. I suggest that you talk to an attorney who understands your goals and will take the smartest approach to achieve them.

To locate an attorney, you can check on this website. But you can also just do a google search for family attorneys in your area. You should find several local attorney's websites. You can then call a few that interest you and see if you feel comfortable with the match.

As for the guardian, in many counties they are appointed by the court. However, sometimes you can suggest someone that the court will choose. Your attorney can advise you on that. Good luck.

This submission is not, nor is it intended as, legal advice. You should consult a lawyer to address your legal issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer