Skip to main content

I need an administrative lawyer

Manteca, CA |

Most likely I will be convicted of intent to sale cocaine. How likely will the state let me become a CPA once I'm done with probation and get my record expunged?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact Ms. McCall on this forum. She is very knowledgeable about professional licensing issues.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.


I agree - call Christine McCall . She is the expert



How do I get her contact info?

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina


She's on AVVO and has a practice in Pasadena. Put her name in the appropriate box on Avvo regarding finding an attorney and she will pop up.


You need two (2) lawyers. You need a criminal defense and administrative lawyer. Not knowing your facts, there may be a possibility of a reduction which changes your chances.


First, do EVERYTHING you can NOT to be convicted of a sales case. It will be a difficult and uphill battle from the point of conviction on.

Second, take care in the course of resolving your criminal case that you do not commit any acts in aggravation, such as false statements or evasions. If there is no absolutely for sure no hope whatsoever for avoiding this conviction, then own up and take responsibility for the matter as quickly as it is safe (from the crim law stand-point) to do so.

Completing probation without incident and obtaining whatever post-conviction remedies may be available on your facts are important, of course, but those actions are far from sufficient. They are not the big or complete picture. It will take a great deal more than that to be in a posture to be a credible and meaningful applicant for State license -- particularly with Board of Accountancy -- than just finishing out probation and asking for a post-conviction dismissal (assuming that can be obtained).

My recommendation is that mid-way through your criminal probation you take a few hours and a few hundred dollars and schedule a consultation with a skilled and experienced professional licensing attorney. You will need a blueprint for how to make yourself license-worthy. The key actions toward license-worthiness all require long-range planning and implementation.

Can your objective be accomplished if you do everything right from the moment of conviction forward? Probably. It is almost never the case that a determined applicant cannot eventually achieve State licensure (except, of course, for sworn peace officer status). But it will take time, determination, persistence, relentless focus, money, and effort. Probably repeated effort. The first effort will not likely be successful and the subsequent application effort is often the defining filter and meaningful message for the State.

In short, the variable will be you. Good luck to you.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.