Skip to main content

I need a pro bono criminal lawyer or at least one for $150.

Jamaica, NY |

I was coerced into admitting I stole $25 worth of items from Duane Reade in Jamaica Ny 11/20/2012. I have bruises and was apprehended outside of the store then arrested after confession. There is no video of me stealing anything. Lawyers want a minimum of $1000 to simply call Duane Reade to drop the charges. I have barely enough to live on and spent $1500 already on a wrongful charge. Please even if a lawyer can just attempt to get the charges dropped, I won't face court. I will lose everything if I don't get help. I lost my granma in July 2012. My pregnant sister just lost her job after being assaulted. I lost mine and hardly find work. I stutter and suffer from depression. I' just need a lawyer to call the prosecutor or the store and get the charges dropped. I am willing to pay $150 cash

i didn't sign any confession.It was a verbal confession and miranda rights were not read to me. The cops even tried to get the store to drop the charges. Stupid LP was hell bent on getting an arrest that day and didn't care if it effected me. Please I've had enough bad luck in my life. I just need a friggin phone call made. This is such a stupid charge and they didn't even scan stuff from their store and stuck me with $25 worth of "stolen" things. I don't want my life to be ruined over $25.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I don’t believe that this matter would be resolved with a simple phone call. At this point it isn’t up to the store whether or not to press charges, that would be the prosecutor’s decision. Be that as it may, if you cannot afford to hire an attorney the court will provide one to you free of charge. S/he may very well be able to negotiate a favorable disposition for you. Because the courts provide lawyers to those who cannot afford to retain on their own, I doubt that you would find an attorney that would take on this matter pro bono.


If the facts are as you present, it may be that the prosecutor will not go forward and dismiss the case. However, since charges have been made by the police, it is not the simple matter you think it is. If you are very low income or indigent, the court will appoint a very competent attorney to handle this for you.


If you are unable to afford counsel, the court will most likely appoint you an attorney at no cost. If your record is clean, you should be able to get the case dismissed with an ACD. Make sure you show up in court on the correct date and work with your court appointed attorney to ensure the proper disposition. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You need to understand that your case has moved beyond the point where just a phone call is going to end it. You were arrested and now it is the responsibility of the Queens County District Attorney's Office to prosecute the case. Under the circumstances you've descrived, how aggressively the case is prosecuted may be another matter, but in any event, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney who is willing to fight for you. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you. Work with your attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer