Skip to main content

I need a Power Of Attorney so my wife can sign it and I can close a real estate deal (while she is on vacation).

Roselle, NJ |

I've "googled" several POA and none of them have a space for a Notary agent. Am I missing something?

Can you link me to a POA that would have something for a notary agent? Is a notary agent required?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


My husband and I actually had to do this in Georgia, and it was very easy. Ask the closing attorney for a power of attorney. The attorney probably has a form on file for you to use. I am not a New Jersey attorney, so I may not be aware of a reason that a power of attorney won't work in your situation. Again, this is a great question for your attorney or the closing attorney.

Good luck!

Unless you came into my office, signed a contract and wrote me a check, I am not your attorney, and you are not my client. This is not intended as legal advice and should only be used for informational purposes only. You should never believe any information that you receive on the internet, especially information that is probably being provided in the late evening hours when I should be sleeping.



the bank in IL won't notorize the document. Everything is fine in NJ


I would go to a different bank in IL, if that is your only issue. The notary is only acknowledging that the person signing the document did so in his or her presence. The notary does not state that the form is legal or anything else. I am not sure why the bank would not notarize the form. I would find another one that will. If you are saying the form itself did not have a place for a notary to sign, that might explain the bank's action, as they probably do not want to modify the form.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


First, if you are a buyer and are obtaining a mortgage, you will need the bank's permission to sign by way of POA at the closing.

Second, title companies are usually pretty strict about what language they want in a POA used at closing - for example they will want a reference to the property address. If you are closing with a title company, I would recommend that you contact the title company and ask for an approved form of POA to use at the closing.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.