Skip to main content

I need a criminal deffense lawyer asap..but i have no money or job and im pregnant also have a disabled child

Trail, MN |

i just moved to mn frm indiana...three weeks after i moved the courts in indiana issued a warrant for me so i didnt know beofre i left. they are for 3 counts of domestic battery in presence of a child.(i was in a few fights with my daughters dad) and they always told us that the paper work from our reports would be dealt with sometime down the road from the prosecutor because they never arrested either one of us ....and my ex is being charged too he still lives in indiana though.i know if i get caught indiana will come and get me. my thing is my daughter has alot of issues and has major surgerys coming up i dont want to miss that.i spoke with a public defender for indiana and he said to get a lawyer because he couldnt help me. do i need a indiana lawyer or minneosta?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It sounds like you have a pending criminal charge in an Indiana court, but you are now living in Minnesota. If the court in Indiana issued an Arrest Warrant, it is possible they would publish it to other states to arrest and detain you for possible extradition. If you were arrested and detained in Minnesota on an out-of-state warrant, you could be held in custody for weeks or more before eventually being shipped by bus back to the court in Indiana, still in custody. Most people have found this disruptive and inconvenient. If you were arrested and detained in Minnesota on the Indiana warrant, you might benefit from the services of a lawyer - either private or public defender. Considering all that, it might seem much easier and more convenient to travel to Indiana to clear the warrant there and appear there, and defend that case - in part, to get rid of the warrant.


You can contact the court and ask for an application for a public defender and ask for the appointment. If there are charges pending, the court can appoint a public defender to represent you.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.


I mimic the comments of my colleagues with the exception that if you are seeking to prevent extradition, that would be done in Minnesota with the assistance of a Minnesota attorney. Most experienced criminal defense attorneys will be familiar with the process. However, it is extraordinary relief and difficult to obtain. Otherwise, you generally will need to return to the forum state and resolve the warrant before a public defender will be appointed to assist you.

Best of luck!

This information is being provided as a courtesy to assist you in seeking representation. It should not be construed as legal advice or to create the relationship of attorney and client.


I am not licensed in Indiana (or Minnesota) but I can offer some general pointers as a criminal lawyer who has handled extradiction and turn-in matters before.

Mr. Gallagher's answer was pretty thorough -- your best best is probably to make arrangements to turn yourself in in Indiana. Fighting extradiction is next to impossible and will only result in you spending time in a Minnesota jail before spending time in an Indiana jail. While you may have to file a formal application for representation first, an Indiana public defender can probably work with you to arrange for your surrender. Sometimes the day of the week and the time of day of your turn-in might make a difference regarding both how long you are held before bail is set, and what kind of bail you are given. The public defender would have a better handle on that.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer