Skip to main content

I need a consultation with a family law attorney.

Virginia Beach, VA |

Children involved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Attorneys who provide consultations in family law matters (myself included) will generally charge a consultation fee. Unless you want to waste an hour of your time, avoid the "free consultations" which consist of a sales pitch but provide very little, if any, substantive advice.
Also look for a lawyer who concentrates in this area of the law. With something this important, you do not want a jack of all trades.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.


The idea behind AVVO is that you give details about your situation in order to receive free legal advice. Since you already believe that you need a Family Law Attorney, you can go online and look for commentary there about family law attorneys. You can go to, which is a paid advertising program to which attorneys subscribe. Check with your employer's Employee Benefits department to be sure that you don't already have a fee-free consultation right through your Employee Benefits program. Ask around among your co-workers and friends- a personal referral usually is the best possible referral you can get. Otherwise, call the Virginia State bar's lawyer referral 800 number, and ask for a referral to a Child Custody attorney.

Legal issues often depend on the specific facts in any given case or situation. Please do NOT utilize the information you receive as either a binding legal opinion in your case, nor presume that I am your counsel because I've answered a question you had. Any legal representation is accomplished by written contract ONLY, signed by each of us.