Skip to main content

I missed my naturalization appointment is there a way out of it?

Columbus, OH |

Due to medical surgery I missed my naturalization interview. I also had requested to be re-scheduled for my interview as soon as I had been schedule. My request was sent certified with delivery confirmation along with supporting documents. Still I have received a notice to inform me that my case was administeratively closed due to failure to appear for my interview. Can I simply write back to the field office and enclosed my previous correspondences to request to be re-scheduled? Or to fix it, is that going to be necessary to attain a lawyer only to file a motion

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The best option under these circumstances is to immediately schedule an INFOPASS appointment at the USCIS district office where your interview was originally scheduled. Of course, it is always better to be accompanied by a lawyer who can file a motion for reconsideration and win based on the facts and supporting documentation to be attached to the motion.

If you still persist on going alone, then make sure to immediately ask for a supervisor and refuse to speak to anyone else. Have all supporting documentation backing up your medical excuse, etc. and retain copies for yourself.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


Schedule an InfoPass appt and request a new appointment.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you rescheduling request was received prior to the scheduled examination, then CIS should grant it and reschedule your exam accordingly. If it has been more than two weeks since the scheduled time, then you should retain counsel to resolve the issue.


I agree with my colleagues. You should contact the local immigration office using the info pass appointment system. Bring evidence of your timely filed request for rescheduling with you.

Contact us at:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer