Skip to main content

I married to a US citizen about 5 years ago and we divorced a year and a half later. During the married we had a child.

Memphis, TN |

My son was born in my country (The Bahamas) and his father left us 9 days after his birth. We have no contact with him and I would like to have my son obtain his US citizenship papers (i.e birth certificate/passport) so we can eventually move to the US to live. Is there anyway that I can do this with the participation of my ex-husband?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It is possible, but will be very very difficult

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


You really do need the father. It's doubtful otherwise.


Take this one step at a time. First attempt to get your son a US passport. Then worry about immigrating. US consular offices will provide you with instructions. Start there or hire an attorney.