Skip to main content

I married so i am eligible for I130 file and can we reopen the file again?

New Britain, CT |

My mom's younger sister put I130 filed for our whole family in 2000.In some reason they close our file,may be lack of documents so my question is that can we reopen the file again?And one more question is that i am included in that file too so i married last year so can i eligible for that file?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


it is best to consult an immigration attorney. The language in the statute says that the I-130 petition must be approvable when filed. If there was insufficient documentation you may not be able to reopen the prior petition.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You should consult an immigraiton attorney. It depends on why the initial I-130 was "closed". If, however, you are now married to a US citizen, you may have independent grounds to get a green cacrd, provided you fulfill certain conditions. Talk to a lawyer, since this is very fact-specific, and a general question on Avvo is no substitute for solid legal advice based on your specific situation.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.



I am not married to a us citizen.My husband is on H1b visa and i am on H4 visa.


can we reopen the file again?
Cannot be determined without an examination of the file.

i am included in that file too so i married last year so can i eligible for that file?

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You could not reopen the old file but you may be able to file based on your marriage.
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.