Skip to main content

I married a mexican citizen, he came here as a child

Denver, CO |

he has no legal us papers, papers were never filed by parents, we have 2 daughters born here in us,, what can i do to legalize him,,and the cost

he had no criminal records, squeaky clean background, what am i to expect time wise and cost ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If you are a US citizen - or permanent resident - you can petition for him and file a 601a waiver. It should take about a year if you are a citizen, 2-3 years if a permanent resident. Meet with an attorney to discuss in detail your case.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Sponsor him for a green card. He can apply for a provisional waiver in the U.S.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If he is less than 31 .... go meet with an immigration attorney and discuss Deferred Action.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues. Attorney costs will vary depending on complications involved in the case. But you can count on spending several thousand dollars.


There are three ways of going about it provided that you are married officially or can claim civil marriage which is valid in Colorado and for immigration purposes as well. As of March of this year a provisional waiver may be filed to try to waive a ground of inadmissibility related to unauthorized presence which will allow your husband to adjust status without leaving the country. If he is less than 31 years of age he can apply for Deferred Action as a childhood arrival, And he can leave and apply for immigrant visa at the US consulate in Mexico. Either way you should discuss all your options with experienced immigration attorney in your area. Good luck