Skip to main content

I'm the victim of a hit and run and I was taken to the emergency room. Should I get a lawyer?

Newark, NJ |

No attempt to stop made by other driver who ran a stop sign. License plate of other driver found by police. I currently have pain in various parts of my body. My car was badly damage and maybe totaled.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


Yes you should immediately contact a local attorney.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Yes - do not hesitate to contact a qualified personal injury attorney.


You should get an attorney and he/she can dilligently keep on the police about their investigation.

Law Offices of James A. Abate (732) 412-2364


If other driver is not identified, you can make a claim against your own insurance company. This assumes you have UM, Uninsured Motorist coverage. If the driver is identified, then you may have a claim depending on the severity of your injuries. Most likely you have the Limitation on Lawsuit option on your policy and precludes any claim unless you have a permanent injury. Good luck. There are some good AVVO lawyers in your area that you should consult.

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Report this to your insurance company and immediately seek the advice and counsel of a local personal injury attorney. Hopefully the license plate will identify the other driver and their insurance company, however, you may still have a claim if you carry uninsured motorist protection and/or collision coverage.


You should definitely look towards retaining an attorney. Especially if your vehicle was totaled. You can put a claim in through your insurance company only if you have uninsured motorist coverage. If you would like to discuss it further feel free to contact me at:

This response is not legal advice and should be considered as attorney advertising. No attorney client relationship has been formed based on this response.


New Jersey Personal Injury - Hit and run Auto accident:

You should consult with an attorney right away to protect your rights. Even if the other driver isn't found, or doesn't have insurance, you may still be able to make a personal injury claim if you or a relative in your household has auto insurance. Every New Jersey Auto Insurance policy provides coverage for accidents caused by uninsured motorists and "phantom" drivers who flee the scene and are never found.


Yes. Most important-if you are hurt, go to the doctor and get yourself better. Assuming your car was insured, your medical bills are covered by your auto insurance. Your property damage will also be covered under your policy (with a deductible). If the police locate the other car from the plate and it is insured, that company will pay the property damage. If your injuries warrant it, you can make a personal injury claim through your uninsured motorists coverage under your policy or, if the driver is located and insured, their insurance policy. Feel free to call us for a free consultation (609) 392-7600.

This response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. For more information on our firm, visit our website:


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


A lawyer can go after your UM. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Robert W Rubinstein

Robert W Rubinstein


Just remember the old saying "you get what you pay for!" PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS BELOW. OUR TELEPHONE NUMBER, FAX and E-MAIL ADDRESS REMAIN THE SAME. Robert W. Rubinstein Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney The Rubinstein Law Firm, LLC 1675 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road, Suite 106 <x-apple-data-detectors://2/0> Hamilton, NJ 08619 <x-apple-data-detectors://2/0> (609) 392-7600 (888) 392-7606 fx(609) 964-1785


Yes, an attorney will protect your rights and you don't have to pay him unless you are compensated. Good luck to you.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer