I'm on Misdemeanor Probation, if I decided to leave the country, would I be stopped at the airport?

Costa Mesa, CA |

I'm on misdemeanor probation for 3rd dui. I want to leave the country for a better job. I know what kind of trouble I would get if I decided to come back to the state. if I decided to leave the country, would there be any problem at the airport? would they stop me? I'm asking because whenever you fly to outside of US, airline scans the passport during check in process at the airport. by scanning my passport, would that alert the police or anyone to stop me and get arrested before I get on the plane? Also, I'm not U.S. Citizen. I'm going back to my country.

Its 3 years misdemeanor probation. Probation started back in January of this year and I just cannot wait till january 2015 to my probation to end. I know what kind of trouble I would get into if I get caught. All I'm worried about is if I'm going to be stopped at the airport when I'm leaving. Also probation said I cannot leave the state or country.

Really, you need to talk to an immigration attorney...however, you should not have any problem. just make sure that you have complied with and completed all of your probation obligations.

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.

Unless you have a term of probation that says you cannot leave the country and you are not subject to the Interstate Compact (this can restrict travel) then you should not have any issues traveling internationally.

You should not get stopped at the airport leaving. However, you will get picked up if you return to the states, since it doesn't sound like you are taking care of the terms of your probation. Good luck to you.

There isn't any problem leaving or coming - as long as you are in compliance with your probation terms. If you're not, a warrant will be issued for you and you are likely to be stopped and arrested upon reentry.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Philip Daniel Hache

Philip Daniel Hache

based on your question (you wrote the p.o. said you could not leave the country...sounds like it is a term of your probation....but you may want to double check that, or have your attorney look into it further to see if something can be worked out so you are not in violation of your probation (...not something you want hanging over your head if it can be helped)

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Joseph Briscoe Dane

The additional information was added after my answer. If there is a specific term and condition of probation that you're not to leave the country, then you can't leave. The original poster absolutely needs to verify the EXACT terms with the probation department and their attorney. If there is any question, they need to seek clearance from the probation department and court before leaving.