Skip to main content

I m on F1 visa status got DUI in last week of December, got my car totaled with hitting another one too, how should i proceed?

Hawthorne, CA |

It did not show in DMV records until 14th jan so i went to dmv and got temperory licence because i was too drunk and had accident and was hospitalized, i wasnt sure if i got DUI, but then i just received a pink letter with marked on "Forced Blood-test" in it as reason or something, as a F1 student visa, how should i proceed with this? thanks in advance.

i have to drive for my work, how do i keep myself driving for work purpose/school only? nobody was injured during the accident except myself a little and i was released from hospital next day around 11am when i came to my senses after the sleep. oh and i work on cash like thousands others who going to school

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First, you need to see a criminal lawyer. The lawyer will find out if you have been charged with dui. Was anyone else injured in the accident? It is possible you were or will be charged with something more serious. Once you know you have been charged with a crime and what the crime is, see an immigration lawyer.


Hire a lawyer.
Hire a lawyer.
Hire a lawyer.

I am concerned that you are working while on an F ... I assume that your foreign student adviser knows about and helped you get the proper work permit.

Hire a lawyer.
Hire a lawyer.
Hire a lawyer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


A DUI conviction has serious consequences for foreign nationals or even resident aliens. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer