Skip to main content

I'm not US citizen. However, I'm a Green Card holder. Can I collect full unemployment benefits in the event I'm laid off/fired?

Salem, MA |
Attorney answers 3


Yes. You a a legal permanent resident fully permitted to work in the U.S. and as a result, you can collect full unemployment if you qualify. Most times, if you are fired you will not be eligible for unemployment but it would not be because you are a legal permanent resident.

Abraham B. Cardenas, Esquire Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. Florida Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, LLC 8150 SW 8th Street, Suite 122 Miami, Florida 33144 (786) 347-1605 Pennsylvania Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. 18 S George Street, Suite 615 York, PA 17401 (717) 854-6400 Office Phone (866) 353-5570 Fax Number (English) (Spanish) The posting on this web site for viewing by potential clients or others interested in learning about legal topics does not create an attorney-client relationship. The fact that an attorney may informally answer general E-Mail questions does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney Abraham B. Cardenas is licensed to practice only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and practices immigration law throughout the United States. This web post is for informational purposes only. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after the potential client meets with an attorney AND has paid the appropriate retainer fee.



Thank you Attorney Cardenas! I thought being fired was one of the things that most happen in order to be eligible. Fired as opposed of quiting.


Yes, you definitely can.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


Your immigration status won't be an issue if you apply for unemployment. In case of getting fired, to state the matter somewhat differently from attorney Cardenas, the employer would need to prove that you were substantially at fault in order for you to be disqualified from benefits.

Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am a Massachusetts lawyer. Any information provided on this site does not, except as explicitly stated, imply familiarity with laws or procedures peculiar to your state which may differ from those where I practice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer