Skip to main content

I'm married with US' citizen and divorced with my former husband from another country. Will there be a problem at an interview?

Key West, FL |

I'm married with an US' citizen and divorced with my former husband from another country. He signed the papers (I've got a certificate of divorce) from Miami Court) . I'm officially didn't divorce him in Ukraine though(where the marriage happened) Will there be a problem at an interview or the american papers will be enough?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If your current marriage is genuine you should have no problem. You should not be concentrating on impressing the officer. Instead, you need to establish a record that you did not marry you current spouse for a primary purpose of getting a green card.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


As long as this is considered a legal and final divorce decree, yes, this is fine. If you live in the US, it is permitted to file and obtain divorce in the United States, and it is a legal divorce. Make sure, however, that you have an experienced immigration lawyer assisting you with this process.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


I agree w / my colleagues. The practice area should be immigration and not prenuptials unless there is some other issue you are raising.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


More facts are needed.

A lot depends on whether or not you were legally residing in Miami at the time of the divorce and whether or not all procedures were properly followed.

Meet with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.