Skip to main content

I'm looking to get my sons father to terminate his rights, but I don't have a partner who is willing to adopt him can it be done

Uxbridge, MA |

My sons father is physically and emotionally abusive and hasn't seen my son since he was 6 weeks old. He has done drugs in the past, is extremely temperamental, has many emotional and psychological issues and lives with his father who is a level three sex offender.( he thinks its ok to have my son around the sex offender) It is in my sons best interest to not have him in his life as it is extremely dangerous for him to do so. I'm running out of ideas because his father refuses to agree with anything I try. Please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is a little unclear when you talk about the rights of your son’s father. How are these rights established?

If you never married the father, he could have gained rights by establishing paternity and then obtaining a court order through a Custody, Visitation and Support complaint.

If you were married, then I assume he gained rights through a divorce action.

In any event, if his rights were granted by the Probate Court, then you can enter a Complaint for Modification – you will be modifying the original order and the basis must be a material change in circumstance. If you have convincing evidence that the child is in danger from the father or that the father places the child in danger, then “in the best interest of the child” the court will restructure the father’s rights.

That may mean a loss of custody or visitation or a shift supervised visitation – it depends on the situation. You don’t need to strip the father of his paternity or have some one adopt the child to affect the change – what you are talking about is more common in DCF cases were there is severe abuse and/or neglect.

The Probate court seems more than capable of addressing your problem. I would go there first, but you should see a lawyer.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.


To report abuse or neglect of a child, call the Massachusetts Child-at-Risk Hotline anytime of the day or night at 800-792-5200.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer