I'm in serious need of legal advice, PLEASE!! WHAT IS GOING ON?? WHO CAN I SPEAK TO ABOUT THIS?

Dallas, TX |

My fiancé got charged in two county's for drug criminal activity. (Something like that) He was in Dallas jail for a week because he got pulled over, and a warrant in Waco. (one of the countys he's being charged in.) Now he is in Waco. He's been there for 1 month and two weeks. He got a court date, and supposedly got put on probation. He's still in Waco jail though. He says he's waiting to fill out paper, and his other court appointed lawyer who's in Hillsboro. Now he had a court date today in HILLSBORO, and no one ever picked him up? When I called Waco, they claim they have no record of him having a court date in Hillsboro. My fiancé also called me saying he denied a plea bargain, (Not sure which county) and that the court appointed lawyers were trying to make case concurrent.

I feel like someone somewhere is giving my fiancé the run around, and it's pissing me off. Excuse my language, but I need an idea of whats going on. I have no knowledge of the system, so if someone can please give me some sort of idea. Why is he still in WACO if he went to court and supposedly got probation? Why didn't HILLSBORO pick him up for his court date? UGH! Also his court appointed lawyers assistant in Hillsboro is the one that told me had a court date on the 17 of this month...

He created the problem, you appear in court on the dates and inform the judge where he is and the problems and I am sure they will straighten this out, but first talk to him as he might be hoping they do not know about each other. (fat chance)

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Thank you!

How can anybody here advise you on this? He and his attorney will know what is going on, not us.

Maybe that "somebody" has had experience on this type of case, or give me SOME TYPE of idea with whats going on here. But thank you for your "time".

Deepali Meenu Walters

Deepali Meenu Walters

Look, here's the deal. I know you're frustrated, but everyone here can only guess because we're not the ones holding a file and paperwork. He could still be in jail for anything from a hold/detainer from some other county or state or immigration to a mistake in the system, because those happen too. His attorneys are in the best position to know what is happening. Anything that anyone here tells you is nothing more than a guess, even if it's an educated guess. Wouldn't it suck if an attorney here said to you "Oh, he's just held on the Hillsboro case" and so you do nothing further, and then it turns out he wasn't, and someone somewhere screwed up paperwork and he's supposed to be out? His attorneys can contact the jail, find out why he's in, get him a court date, talk to the prosecutor and court to make sure he'll be transferred/bench warranted over, and that his case goes through. So, in the end, the attorneys are the ones who can help you with this.

Thank you...I had talked to his lawyer about an hour ago... His plead for probation is under investigation, and that will take about a month.

Deepali Meenu Walters

Deepali Meenu Walters

I'm glad you were able to get an answer from his attorney. The pre-sentence investigation is to make sure he's actually a good candidate for probation before the judge grants it, and to see what sorts of services and programs he needs while on probation. Good luck to you and to him.

Relax, it's the system. The sheriff of one county may not have had enough prisoners to make his bus trip worthwhile. If he doesn't like his court appointed attorneys there are enough around your area for you to pick and hire one. Maybe they can expedite the case.

Thank you so much. I had no idea I can change his court appointed lawyer...

Deepali Meenu Walters

Deepali Meenu Walters

You can't change his court appointed lawyer. That would have to be his decision. You could certainly pay for it and help find someone, but he'd have to be the one to decide to fire that person and retain someone new.