Skip to main content

I'm holding a Conditional Green Card. Do I need to apply for I-131. We're going to a 10 day cruise outside US in a month.

Boston, MA |

My Conditional Green will not expire in next 4 months.
Thank you so much!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Te Conditional Green Card (Permanent Residence Card), is just like a regular Green Card, but is limited to a 2 year term. This is to allow the USCIS to verify if the marriage is legitimate or was entered into for the sole purpose of getting a Green Card. Aside form the 2 years term, the card is just like a regular Green Card.

So if you need to travel you can do so without the need to apply for the I-131 Parole or any other document. If you committed a Crime or any other violation that may impact your Green Card, I would suggest to consult an attorney before departing the US.


If you have EVER accumulated any overstay or out-of-status time in the USA you should not leave the country - you may not be allowed back in. Before you leave you should consult with an immigration attorney who can review your case and determine if you need a travel document or if you should leave the US at all.


the I-131 for a permanent resident is for a re-entry permit, which is typically required only for extended stays outside the US.

713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full details of the case.


No, you do not need to file form I-131 for your short trip.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer