Skip to main content

I'm getting married to a USA citizen and I was wondering if I could be my own sponsor during the green cards process

Chicago, IL |

I'm in the country on a valid work visa and I will continue to work for the company who got me the visa after I'm married.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


How can you be your own sponsor?


Your wife has to petition you. She also has to do an affidavit of support. You can use a household members income if they are authorized to work. The economic sponsorship forms are very complicated. Hire an Immigration attorney to help you with the process.


If you are asking whether your income can be included on the affidavit of support, the answer is yes. You will have to execute the "household member" portion of the affidavit of support.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


Your income can be included in the affidavit of support as long as it was gained through lawful employment. Consult an immigration attorney in person for more specifics.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


That is not legally permissible.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


It is my understanding that you want to know if your income can be used to meet the minimum income requirements. I'm happy to say that yes, it can, since it is earned lawfully, as long as you file joint tax returns with your spouse. Contact a lawyer as these are not easy documents and mistakes can have a lasting damage.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer