I'm Fl. resident on senior bus trip to Branson, Mo. Fell in hotel and 8 day stay for surgery.

Mc Intosh, FL |

Hotel insurer(Travelers) say $5000.00 limit total for hospital and personal expenses. Had lot of $$$ for hospital stay extra nights lodging, car rental medications air flight back to Florida and continuing expenses for therapy and still requiring a cane to walk and appears to be a permanent semi-disabling injury since Nov. 9, 2012 fall.

That sounds like the total coverage they have under a medical payments policy. You need to hire a personal injury lawyer to help you make a claim for your injuries, expenses and pain and suffering under the hotels liability policy.

Don't want to assume what you are asking. However, contacting a local and qualified personal injury lawyer is (almost) always advisable. Stop speaking with Travelers. A FL attorney can help you find someone in MO; but you will need an MO attorney.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

As Attorneys Adams and Pittman have advised, you need to get in touch with Missouri counsel to handle this matter for you. Use the Avvo find a lawyer function to locate a Missouri attorney with the experience and credentials that you will need to successfully prosecute a personal injury case against the hotel.

Good Luck

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

The $5 K is LIKELY a medical payment portion of the insurance policy. The hotel should additionally have a policy of liability insurance from which you should seek compensation. Med pay is usually no-fault so if someone is hurt, they pay it if the bills amount to at least $5,000. The remaining policy, if it exists, would be conditioned on the hotel being negligent....or doing something that places fault on it. A hotel is required to maintain a safe premises for its guests. If they did something like failed to keep the floor clean or clear of hazards, then you may be able to make a claim. If you fell because of your own fault, you may have difficulties making a claim under the hotel's insurance. I strongly recommend that you speak to an attorney handling personal injury, especially premises liability for a FREE consultation. You should speak to a Missouri attorney to better assist you. Good luck.

David Maxwell Milton

David Maxwell Milton

If you file suit, you'll have to file suit in Missouri. You might be able to avoid filing a lawsuit if the hotel's insurance company is willing to treat you fairly (usually doesn't happen, but it's possible). A lawyer can help you talk to the insurance company about a settlement. You should speak with an attorney in Florida; that attorney should be able to help you find an attorney in Missouri who handles these kinds of cases.

Laura Lee Shields

Laura Lee Shields

Good point, David.

David Maxwell Milton

David Maxwell Milton

Laura, I wasn't disagreeing, just clarifying a point. Knowing what we know about insurance companies, this person is probably going to need an attorney in Missouri.

Find a local lawyer in Branson to investigate. Use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Contact a personal injury attorney in the town where this incident occurred. The $5000 that Travelers is talking about is probably coverage under their medical payments provision in the hotel's policy. They are not referring to a payout under the liability portion of the policy. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

What state was the hotel in? What ever state you fell in you may want to consult with a lawyer in that state. Depending on the reason you fell may need to determine if there was any negligence which is a crucial element to have in order to have a valid claim for a slip and fall. Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at www.LigoriCappyLaw.com. Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com