Skip to main content

I'm filling I130 for my wife,she issued a new passport and the spelling of her first name has been changed would it be a problem

Los Angeles, CA |

My wife's previous passport's first name was miss spilled in English though the first name is as is in the original language, and the last name used in her previous passport is the third name (grandfathers name) while the last name used in all her other documents is the fifth name (great grandfathers name) so she asked them in the immigration and passport authority "abroad" to change the spelling of her first name and add the fifth name in her new passport so that it matches other documents such as our marriage certificate, her college certificate , birth certificate, ID,etc.. So i want to fill the i130 and there is a question that says " Other names used before" am i supposed to put the name of the previous passport and provide supporting document to explain why and how we changed it ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yea list it. You don't have to explain it unless they ask at interview.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Include the spelling you want to see on the GC as first and the other in the parenthesis .

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Put the other names. Be prepared to explain and document if asked.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer